26 November 2007

The Morning Wake-up Call

Sleeping in is no longer a possibility with a two-year-old in the house. Especially a two-year-old with a poopy diaper. Hungry for his breakfast at 6:00 AM.

I must say, though, that if I have to wake up at dawn every morning, there's no better way of doing so than waking up to an eagerly smiling face. Luka is always in the best mood when Paul and I are barely awake.

Luka and I play this game where I sing a few notes (of the la-la-la variety) and he echoes after me. Using "las" wasn't the best idea, as every command to go to sleep (Ulale! Lala sasa hivi!) is now met with a sweet sing-song response: "la la la."

Yesterday, he charmingly entertained himself while we tried to go back to sleep, poking our eyes with his tiny fingers, pretending to sleep (curled up, fingers in his mouth, bum in the air), and zoom-zooming his Duplo brick across our pillows.

This morning, Luka was so wide awake, he'd pushed the mosquito net over his crib out of the way and was standing. I woke up to the sight of his staring face. Unfortunately, he wasn't in the mood for entertaining himself while we continued to sleep, so it was up and at 'em for Paul and me!

It's a good thing he's so cute.

No comments: