18 November 2007

The Smile

Today was the second day with Luka. We had a 6-hour bus ride (on a bush bus, mostly on bumpy dirt roads) this morning from Sumbawanga. Luka did fine; he sat still in my lap, unmoving. It wasn't until about 2/3 of the way into the ride that he started to move voluntarily. Not too long after, I brushed my fingers under his chin and he smiled! Paul and I were beside ourselves. The rest of the ride flew by, as Luka began to respond more and more. This afternoon, I stayed with him at our friends' home here in Mbeya while Paul went to town to buy a new spare tire. Luka started to PLAY! Within a few hours, he was not only responding to voices and touch, he was instigating interaction.

One of our major concerns was that we'd heard Luka had development problems with one of his feet, which was impeding his ability to walk or stand. When I put him in the pack-and-play, however, he immediately stood up to look at me. He seemed to be able to stand without any pain. We are pretty confident that with lots of attention and exercise, he'll be walking soon.


What a flirt!

No comments: