19 December 2007

Mbeya visit

We just got back from Mbeya, where we were checking out this year's home stay site as well as catching up with the GMI folk. Casey and Shelby arrived on Monday and got a chance to see Luka. Everyone was so shocked to see how much he has grown (length-wise and girth-wise). Luka did very well with all the stimulation--and there was a LOT of it. Lynn and Mike came with one-year-old twins from the orphanage, which brought the grand total of kids-under-5 to a whopping 6! The Hodgson's living room looked like a daycare!

I think I deserve the prize for most neglectful foster parent. The last night in Mbeya, I decided to let Luka sleep on a bed instead of his pack-and-play because the mosquito net that goes with his crib smelled like poop. I made sure to tuck the net under his mattress as tightly as I could, not wanting him to fall out of bed. Sometime during the night, I heard Luka mildly whimpering. Since he does this every once in a while, I said "shhhhhhh' really loudly and he almost immediately stopped. This happened again two or three times until morning--each time, Luka stopped within a few seconds.

When I finally woke up, I couldn't find Luka in his bed. And I noticed that the mosquito net was untucked. Only then did I realize that there were two little legs sticking out from under the bed. It turns out that Luka had fallen out and had wedged himself under the bed sometime during the night! Yikes! The poor guy must have been so uncomfortable. And boy, did I feel bad for shushing him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying not to snort, becuase that shouldn't be funny. But it kind of is. :)

-tskd