11 December 2007

Walking update

I think this mad dash for posting updates is in reaction to all the pictures I posted yesterday. But more pictures are coming, I promise!

Luka is still not walking, but he is incredibly active. Part of the trouble is his lack of desire to walk. He has perfected a fast-as-lightning crawl and is perfectly happy scooting around on his bum when he's got something in his hands. I read in a British book on baby development that babies who learn to butt-scoot are almost always behind in learning to walk, simply because they don't feel the need to. Definitely true of Luka!
We also think that part of the reason why he is not yet walking is that he still hasn't built up enough strength in his lower legs (calves). He is such a solid baby, but his lower legs look like toothpicks (especially compared to his humongous thighs-of-steel). We've been trying to encourage him to use his lower legs by setting his toys (and sometimes his desserts) in the middle of our coffee table so he has to stand up to get to them (mwa ha ha). He also likes standing on the Moyers' couch to look at the dogs, or on our pillows to look outside our bedroom window, which is good exercise, too.
Luka can "walk" if I hold his arms up. At first I thought it was just a matter of balance, but I am realizing that he has a very hard time holding himself up when I let his hands drop down so that he can no longer let me carry his weight.
All in all, Luka's shown much improvement and is very active, but needs a little more time in order to build the confidence to walk.

No comments: